Pages

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Saturday Six Word Memoir

On a recent early afternoon, my brother phoned me excitedly to tell me to listen to the day’s “Talk of the Nation” on NPR, for an interesting segment called, “What’s Your ‘Six-Word Memoir?’”  The story is that Smith Magazine began inviting people from all walks of life, some famous, most not, to distill a memoir of their lives into six words, and began publishing these in a series of collections.  The most recent of these collections is, “It All Changed in an Instant: More Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous & Obscure,” by Larry Smith & Rachel Fershleiser. New York: Harper Perennial, 2010.

I took my brother’s advice (a wise thing for a kid sister to do, no?) and listened to the segment.  You should too!  Not because my brother said so, but because the segment, and the six word memoirs you’ll hear from the book and the call-in listeners, are quite simply wonderful.  I found myself in turn amused, amazed and moved by many of the Six Word Memoirs I heard.

And I was inspired to write my own!

So here is the first of what I hope will be a series of Saturday Six Word Memoirs – a memoir to encapsulate my week:

New Business: Less Earned Than Spent

Got your own Six Word Memoir? Feel free to share it in the Comments!

No comments: