Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Stuff I Miss About BigLaw . . . and Stuff I Don't! (Plus, a Bonus)

No really! Quit laughing! There are things I miss about my life in BigLaw! Such as:

1.  I miss having all my MCLEs and training programs paid for by someone else.
2.  I miss having a team of staff to manage.
3.  I miss the opportunities to teach training programs.
4.  I miss the afternoon latte breaks. Note: there is no Peet's Coffee in walking distance of my home office :(
5.  I miss specific people. Attorneys I liked working with. Fellow staffers who were helpful, knowledgeable and a kick in the ass.
6.  I miss the Word Processing Department! (But now I’m oh-so-skilled at formatting those documents myself!)
    Stuff I'm not missing even a little about my former life in BigLaw:

    1.  I don't miss getting yelled at by attorneys. (Not that that ever happened . . . )
    2.  I don’t miss the all-nighters. Thank god my current boss doesn't allow those. :P
    3.  I don’t miss the commute. Not. One. Bit.
    4.  I don’t miss the billable hour minimum.
    5.  I don’t miss the terrible vending machine food in the lunch room.
    6.  I don’t miss being stuck with the terrible vending machine food when I’m too busy to find something better to eat.

    And as an added bonus, things I love about being a virtual paralegal:

    1.  I love the variety of projects I work on – an even greater variety of work than I experienced in any one law firm.
    2.  I love learning about the varied cases of my clients in different practice areas.
    3.  I love not commuting! (See #3 above.)
    4.  I love the flexibility to exercise and run errands in the middle of the day if I want to.
    5.  I love the tremendous sense of ownership I have over every aspect of my work, now that I’m a business owner.
    6.  I love the technology I utilize to work remotely.
    7.  I love the ability to say NO, when no is the best thing for me or for my business.
    8.  I love some of the things marketing a business compels me to do. Such as professional networking events, writing my newsletter, Twitter and blog reading as industry research.
    9.  See how long this list is?

    Things I love not so much about being a virtual paralegal:

    1.  I don’t love the inconsistent cash flow.
    2.  I don’t love all the annoying administrative details - business taxes, licenses, accounting.
    3.  I don’t love some of the things marketing a business compels me to do. Such as cold – or even warm – calling, marketing ROI analysis, tooting my own horn.
    4.  See how short this list is?

    What do you love/love not so much about your work?

    3 comments:

    Nikki Campos said...

    What a great blog post!!! I love not having to worry about the stress of missing work when kids are sick or snow days!! I always felt guilty making that call into the office :) What I miss the most is not having the 'face-to-face' consults with clients of the firm. I enjoyed meeting new clients...you never knew what to expect! LOL

    Daphne said...

    You're right Nikki, there's no such thing as "missing work" any more, is there? The flexibility of being able to care for kids, stay out of the inclement weather, and still get work done is a great gift to me too!

    Thanks so much for the comment; nice to see you here on my blog!

    Anonymous said...

    Ok, thanks guys... now I'm totally jealous. Where do I sign up?