Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

Virtual Paralegals in Litigation Part 5: Delegating Appropriate Tasks

A virtual paralegal can offer huge benefits to a litigation practice, providing savings in both time and money. The purpose of this series has been to discuss those benefits, and answer some of the questions litigators have about working with a virtual or remote working paralegal.

In recent posts I discussed a way to think about the title "virtual paralegal," the readily available technologies virtual paralegals use, issues related to document security and confidentiality, and developing trust in a virtual paralegal.

Today we discuss a final area to consider when contemplating working with a virtual paralegal:

Delegating Suitable Tasks. Some lawyers believe that all the work they require simply has to be done on-site. Or said differently, they believe they need the immediacy of a paralegal close at hand for urgent projects.

Let us concede that there are a small number of tasks which cannot readily be performed from a remote location: making copies, for example, or meeting with clients, experts or witnesses.

However there are a host of tasks that are perfectly suited for a remote working paralegal. These include drafting correspondence, discovery, discovery responses and simple pleadings. They include performing suitable legal or procedural research. They include reviewing documents, preparing document productions, and summarizing depositions. They include cite checking briefs, downloading case law, and e-filing documents.

For example in my own business, I have performed on line and law library research on procedural issues and drafted memos outlining my findings for attorney clients. I have uploaded all relevant statutes and case law to an on-line shared document folder for my clients' review. I have drafted and served notices to all parties in my clients’ cases. I have reviewed and organized client documents, both in paper  and electronic formats. I have bates numbered documents for production. I have reviewed document productions to compile data needed for motions. I have drafted declarations and assembled their exhibits.

These are just a few examples of the many services a virtual paralegal is able to provide to litigation attorney clients, working remotely from his or her own well-equipped office.

A competent virtual paralegal can help an attorney evaluate which projects are best suited for his or her assistance, and can help break the project down into tasks which the attorney can delegate to both in-house and remote working staff. A virtual paralegal can help streamline the case load of any litigation practice. Litigators can not only reap the benefits of a contractor working only when needed, but can also save the costs of providing space, equipment and supplies.

It’s a win/win for us all!

3 comments:

Emily said...

I want to say thank you for what you do. I am in my second year of school to become a paralegal, and after gaining some work experience I ultimately want to open my own office to be an independent paralegal for myself and others. You are both inspiring and educational. Thank you.

Daphne said...

Emily, that's so sweet of you to say! I have enjoyed my paralegal career over the years - it's been challenging, interesting and rewarding. I wish you all the best of luck as you pursue your path!

Paula said...

I'm glad I found this post. I'm thinking of entering the Paralegal path and this one gives me a real good insights of what to expect. I should read the other post too. I know I'll be learning a lot from them. Thanks!